Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NEW YEAR. NEW YOU

Is setting a New Year’s resolution really such a bad idea? People are always saying “I’m not jumping on the New Year’s resolution bandwagon” or “look at all of the New Year Resolutionists”. I like to think of it more of a resolution-solution for me rather than a bandwagon headed for who knows where. I know that what goal I set on Jan. 1st might get blown on Jan. 2nd but that doesn’t mean the rest of the 363 days are also blown. I just have to tell myself its okay. I’ve had a small setback and then I will get back up and start over again….every…single…time. The next time I will try harder and the time after that, even harder than before. It’s the only way to do it folks. If you don’t learn from the past then you can’t work towards a better future. Remember making a poor choice doesn't mean you'll never get it right. Just as God is the God of second chances you can give yourself one (or two, or three) as well. Whatever you need to set right this year pray to Him that you know you've made this rut or disorganized mess or whatever it is...but He is bigger than any rut or mess you've made and will help you see a way out.

My goals are not very different than prior years as far as health goes. I want to get in better shape and eat healthier. Okay, I know you are about to cover your mouth and point your finger at me because I just said that my goals are the same as last year and the year before and so on….. That is proof that a New Year resolution doesn’t work, right? Nope, negative, nil, zero, and huh-uh!! It just means that I have room to improve and I’m going to keep at it. I’m not perfect, never will be (Ssssh! Don’t tell my husband that!). I also have new goals too though. I plan to learn a lot more about proper nutrition and also the science of exercise and fitness. My husband and I have one common New Year's resolution and that is to make our left legs stronger. We both have a weaker left leg (him due to an ACL he had replaced years ago and me due to a bad knee and ankle on the left). We know that if we strengthen up our muscles on that leg it will take the pressure off of those joints and do wonders for our fitness levels. He may have others too, he didn’t say, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one wasn’t trying to live with a hyper active, introverted, almost perfect wife (wink wink).

Everyone likes to receive gifts so I want to leave you with a gift all wrapped up in a pretty little gold and silver sparkly package for you to open up as you begin a new year and that is this: the good thing about you controlling your destiny is that you get to hit the refresh button on your life as many times as you need. Sure, you might decide to set goals during the year anyway so why do you have to decide on Jan 1st to start them – what’s so magical about that you ask? There’s nothing magical about it at all. It is merely a motivational tool…as we like to reflect back on our years we also like to forecast what a new year will be like. So at the first of the year set your plan(s) in motion and get going! Make whatever your dream is into a reality by digging harder and deeper inside you to find that willpower, stamina, adventure, or whatever it is that you need. Keep looking up even when you are down and don't be afraid to hit the refresh button.




1 comment:

  1. Your not perfect? What a way to find out... :-)

    T-Man

    ReplyDelete